Professor Jean de la Rosette qualified in medicine from the University of Nijmegen, the Netherlands, in 1992. He was then appointed consultant urologist and Director Minimal Invasive Urology at the Department of Urology at the University Hospital at Nijmegen. In 1994 he obtained his doctorate. Since 2002 Jean de la Rosette is Professor and Chairman of the Department of Urology at the Academic Medical Centre (AMC) and University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
Professor de la Rosette is a member of the Minimal Invasive Treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) committee of the International Consultation on BPH and the chairman of the Renal Stone committee, patronised by the World Health Organisation (WHO). He is past chairman of the EAU Section of Uro-Technology (ESUT) and past chairman of the European Association of Urology (EAU) working party on BPH guidelines. He is appointed as chairman of the Clinical Research Office of the Endourological Society (CROES) and member of the Board of the Endourological Society. He is the past president of the WCE 2005 meeting and scientific chairman of the WCE 2012 meeting. He is at present a member of the Executive Board of the Société International d’Urologie (SIU).
Professor de la Rosette is a member of various urological societies including the American Urological Association (AUA), the European Association of Urology (EAU), the Endourological Society and the Société International d’Urologie (SIU). He is also on the editorial board of the Journal of Endourology, European Urology, Journal of Urology, BJU International, Journal of Central Europe, and Turkish Journal of Urology.
Professor de la Rosette has published over 450 peer-reviewed articles in the field of urology with special focus on minimally invasive therapy, oncological urology and endourology. He co-authors 4 books and has published over 100 book-chapters.
Professor and Chairman
Department of Urology
AMC University Hospital
Amsterdam - The Netherlands
1985-86 Honour School of Physiological Sciences, Worcester College, Oxford University, England (Psychology)
1983-87 Georgetown University, Washington, DC (Biology)
1987-91 Pritzker School of Medicine, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL (Medicine, MD)
1991-97 Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions – Urology residency, fellowship and faculty (Urology)
• 1997-98 | Assistant Chief of Service, Instructor in Urology, James Buchanan Brady Urological Institute, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, MD
• 1998-2003 | Assistant Professor of Surgery, Division of Urologic Surgery, Department of Surgery, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC
• 2003 -2009 | Associate Professor (with tenure, 2009-2011)
• 2011-present | Professor of Urology with tenure
• 2007-present | Director of Urologic Oncology program
• 2012-present | Director of Genitourinary Focal Therapy program
Editorial, advisory board, academic and societal positions
• 1998-present Ad hoc reviewer: Urology, Lancet Oncology, Cancer, European Urology, Journal of Urology, BJU International, Urologic Oncology, Technology in Cancer Research and Treatment, Nature Clinical Practice Urology, etc
• 1998- 2005 Medical Director, Duke Community Urology, Duke University, Durham NC
• 2001 Advisory Board, NCI-funded Fresh Start Project on "Promoting Health in Prostate and Breast Cancer Survivors”
• 2002-2005 Medical Director, Duke Comprehensive Cancer Center Prostate Cancer Screening
• 2003-04 Leadership College of the North Carolina Medical Society
• 2004-06 Secretary of the North Carolina Urological Association
• 2005-2011 Board of Directors, Southeastern Section of the American Urological Association
• 2006-07 Vice President, North Carolina Urological Association
• 2007-2009 President, North Carolina Urological Association
• 2007-13 Southeastern Section of the American Urological Association Health Policy Council – North Carolina representative
• 2008-10 Coordinating Council of Specialty Societies of the North Carolina Medical Society – Urology representative
• 2007+ European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer (EORTC) – Independent Data Monitoring Committee (IDMC) – external reviewer
• 2008-11 Representative of North Carolina, Southeastern Section of the American Urological Association Board of Directors
Current Funded Projects
• Construction of a renal mass database and tissue repository. Department Fund, $38,000, 2011-12.
• FEM-based Acoustic Radiation Impulse Imaging and MR Image Registration for Focal Prostate Cancer Procedures. Coulter Foundation award 383-4328, 5% effort, 2012-13.
• Acoustic Radiation Force Impulse imaging of in-vivo prostate cancer prior to prostatectomy. NIH 1R-01 CA142824-01, 2009- present
Selected Bibliography (from total 203 peer-reviewed publications)
• Mouraviev V, Sun L., Mayes JM, Madden JF, Moul JW, and Polascik TJ. Prostate cancer laterality does not predict prostate-specific antigen recurrence after radical prostatectomy. Urology. 2007; 70:1141-1145.
• Mouraviev V, Nosnik I, Robertson C, Albala D, Walther P and Polascik TJ: Comparative financial analysis of minimally invasive surgery to open surgery for small renal tumours < 3.5 cm: A single institutional experience. European Urology 51:715-721, 2007.
• Sun L, Moul JW, Hotaling JM, Rampersaud E, Dahm P, Robertson C, Fitzsimons N, Albala D and Polascik TJ: Prostate-specific antigen (PSA) and PSA velocity for prostate cancer detection in men aged <50 years. BJU International, 99: 753-757, 2007.
• Mouraviev V, Joniau S, Van Poppel H , and Polascik TJ: Current Status of Minimally Invasive Ablative Techniques in the Treatment of Small Renal Tumours. European Urology 51: 328-336, 2007.
• Polascik TJ and Mouraviev V: The rise of ablative technologies for treating the small renal mass. European Urology 52(3): 636-638, 2007.
• Mouraviev V, Polascik TJ, Mayes J, Sun L., Madden JF, George D, Febbo P., Moul JW. Prostate Cancer Laterality as a Rationale of Focal Ablative Therapy for the Treatment of Clinically Localized Prostate Cancer. Cancer. 2007; 110:906-910.
• Megwalu II, Ferguson GG, Wei JT, Mouraviev V , Polascik TJ, Taneja S, Black L, Andriole GL, Kibel AS. Evaluation of a novel precision template-guided biopsy system for detecting prostate cancer. BJU Int.2008; 102(5):546-50.
• Schroeck FR, Krupski TL, Sun L, Albala DM, Price MM, Polascik TJ, Robertson CN, Tewari AK and Moul JW: Satisfaction and regret after open retropubic or robot-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy. Eur Urol, 54: 785-793, 2008.
• Polascik TJ , Mayes JM, Sun L, Madden JF, Moul JW, and Mouraviev V: Pathologic Stage T2a and T2b Prostate Cancer in the Recent Prostate-specific Antigen Era: Implications for Unilateral Ablative Therapy. Prostate 68: 1380-1386, 2008.
• Polascik TJ, and Mouraviev V. Focal therapy for prostate cancer. Current Opin Urol: 18:269-74, 2008.
• Schroeck FR, Donatucci CF, Smathers EC, Sun L, Albala DM, Polascik TJ, Moul JW and Krupski TL: Defining potency: A comparison of the International Index of Erectile Function short version (IIEF-5) and the Expanded Prostate Cancer Index Composite (EPIC). Cancer 113(10): 2687-94, 2008.
• Mouraviev V, Mayes JM, and Polascik TJ: Pathologic Basis of Focal Therapy for Early Stage Prostate Cancer. Nature Reviews Urology, 6(4): 205-15, 2009.
• De la Rosette JMCH, Mouraviev V and Polascik TJ: Focal targeted therapy will be a future treatment modality for early stage prostate cancer. Eur Urology, 8: 424-432, 2009
• Chen VH, Mouraviev V, Mayes JM, Sun L, Madden JF, Moul JW and Polascik TJ: Utility of a 3-dimensional transrectal ultrasound-guided prostate biopsy system for prostate cancer detection. Technology in Cancer Research and Treatment:8 (2): 99-104, 2009.
• Polascik TJ, Mayes JM, Schroeck FR, Sun L, Madden JF, Moul JW, and Mouraviev V: Patient Selection for Hemi-ablative Focal Therapy of Prostate Cancer: Variables Predictive of Tumor Unilaterality based upon Radical Prostatectomy. Cancer, 115(10): 2104-10, 2009.
• Mouraviev V, Madden JF, Broadwater G, Mayes JM, Burchette JL, Schneider F, Smith JS, Tsivian M, Wong T and Polascik TJ: Use of 111In-capromab pendetide immunoscintigraphy to image localized prostate cancer foci within the prostate gland. J Urol 182: 938-948, 2009.
• Tsivian M, Kimura M, Sun L, Mouraviev V, Mayes JM and Polascik TJ: Predicting unilateral prostate cancer on routine diagnostic biopsy: sextant versus extended. BJU-I, 105(8): 1089-1092, 2010.
• Polascik TJ and Mouraviev V: Focal therapy for prostate cancer is a reasonable treatment option in properly selected patients. Urology 74(4): 726-30, 2009.
• Tsivian M, Mayes JM, Krupsky TL, Mouraviev V, Donatucci CF and Polascik TJ: Altered male physiologic function after surgery for prostate cancer: Couple perspective. International Braz J Urol, 35(6): 673-682, 2009.
• Mayes JM, Mouraviev V, Tsivian M, Krupski TL, Donatucci CF and Polascik TJ: Concordance in the perception of couples recovering from primary surgical treatment of prostate cancer. Int J Impotence Res 21(4): 253-260, 2009.
• Kimura M, Mouraviev V, Tsivian M, Moreira DM, Mayes JM and Polascik TJ: Analysis of urinary function using validated instruments and uroflowmetry after primary and salvage prostate cryoablation. Urology 76(5): 1258-1265, 2010
• Tsivian M, Moreira DM, Sun L, Mouraviev V, Kimura M, Moul JW and Polascik TJ: Biopsy accuracy identifying unilateral prostate cancer depends on prostate weight.Urol Oncol, 30: 21-25, 2012.
• Mouraviev V, Bjerklund-Johansen TE and Polascik TJ: Contemporary results of focal therapy for prostate cancer using cryoablation. J Endourol 24 (5): 827-834, 2010.
• De la Rosette J, Ahmed HU, Barentsz J, Bjerklund-Johansen T, Brausi M, Emberton M, Frauscher F, Greene D, Harisinghani M, Haustermans K, Heidenreich A, Kovacs G, Mason M, Montirone R, Mouraviev V, deReijke T, Raneja S, Taneja S, Thuroff S, Trachtenberg J, Wijkstra H, and Polascik TJ: Focal therapy in prostate cancer – report from a consensus panel. J Endourology, 24(5): 775-780, 2010.
• De la Rosette JJ, Gill I and Polascik TJ: Focal therapy for prostate and renal cancer: are we ready for it? J Endourology, 24(5): 663, 2010.
• Tsivian M, Hruza M, Mouraviev V, Rassweiler J and Polascik TJ: Prostate biopsy in selecting candidates for hemiablative focal therapy. J Endourology 24(5): 849-854, 2010.
• Tsivian M and Polascik TJ: Focal Cryotherapy for prostate cancer. Curr Urol Rep11:147-151, 2010.
• Zhai L, Madden J, Foo WC, Palmeri ML, Mouraviev V, Polascik TJ and Nightingale KR: Acoustic Radiation Force Impulse Imaging of Human Prostates ex vivo. Ultrasound Med Biol 36(4): 576-588, 2010.
• Eggener S, Salomon G, Scardino PT, De la Rosette J, Polascik TJ and Brewster S: Focal therapy for prostate cancer: possibilities and limitations. Eur Urol, 58(1): 57-64, 2010.
• Baust JG, Klossner DP, van Buskirk RG, Gage AA, Mouraviev V, Polascik TJ and Baust JM: Integrin involvement in freeze resistance of androgen-insensitive prostate cancer. Prost Cancer Prostatic Dis 13(2): 151-161, 2010.
• Choueiri TK, Chen MH, D’Amico AV, Sun L, Nguyen PL, Hayes JH, Robertson CN, Walther PJ, Polascik TJ, Albala DM, Moul JW: Impact of postoperative prostate-specific antigen disease recurrence and the use of salvage therapy on the risk of death. Cancer, 116(8): 1887-92, 2010.
• Zhai L, Madden J, Foo WC, Palmeri ML, Mouraviev V, Polascik TJ and Nightingale KR: Acoustic Radiation Force Impulse Imaging of Human Prostates ex vivo. Ultrasound Med Biol 36(4): 576-588, 2010.
• Kimura M, Rabbani Z, Mouraviev V, Tsivian M, Caso J, Satoh T, Baba S, Vujaskovic Z, Baust JM, Baust JG and Polascik TJ: Role of vitamin D3 as a sensitizer to cryoablation in a murine prostate cancer model: preliminary in vivo study. Urology, 2010 76(3): 764.e14-20.
• Tsivian M, Chen VH, Kim CY, Zilberman DE, Mouraviev V, Nelson RC, Albala DM and Polascik TJ: Complications of laparoscopic and percutaneous renal cryoablation in a single tertiary referral center. Eur Urol 58(1): 142-148, 2010.
• Kimura M, Rabbani Z, Mouraviev V, Tsivian M, Vujaskovic Z, Satoh T, Baba S, Baust JM, Baust JG and Polascik TJ: Morphology of hypoxia following cryoablation in a prostate cancer murine model: its relationship to necrosis, apoptosis and microvessel density. Cryobiology 61(1): 148-154, 2010.
• Zhai L, Madden J, Foo WC, Mouraviev V, Polascik TJ, Palmeri ML and Nightingale KR: Characterizing stiffness of human prostates using acoustic radiation force. Ultrasonic Imaging 32 (4): 201-213, 2010.
• Mouraviev V, Villers A, Bostwick DG, Wheeler TM, Montironi R, and Polascik TJ: Understanding the pathological features of focality, grade and tumour volume of early stage prostate cancer as a foundation for parenchyma-sparin prostate cancer therapies:Active surveillance and focal targeted therapy BJUInt.108:1074, 2011.
• Tsivian M and Polascik TJ: The role of transrectal saturation biopsy in tumour localization: pathological correlation after retropubic radical prostatectomy and implication for focal ablative therapy. BJU Int, 108(3): 371, 2011.
• Mouraviev V, Kimura M, Venkatraman T, Tsivian M, Mouravieva V, Batinic-Haberle I, Polascik TJ, Wang H, and Lascola C: Mn-porphyrins as novel molecular MRI contrast agents. J Endourology,2011 Nov3[Epub ahead of print].
• Ahmed HU, Akin O, Coleman JA, Crane S, Emberton M, Goldenberg L, Hricak H, Kattan MW, Kurhanewicz J, Moore CM, Parker C, Polascik TJ, Scardino P, van As N, and Villers A: Transatlantic Consensus Group on Active Surveillance and Focal Therapy for Prostate Cancer. BJU-I, [epub ahead of print] Nov 11, 2011.
• Santucci KL, Snyder KK, Baust JM, Van Buskirk RG, Mouraviev V, Polascik TJ, Gage AA and Baust JG: Use of 1,25α dihydryoxyvitamin D3 as a cryosensitizing agent in a murine prostate cancer model. Prost Cancer Prost Dis 14(2): 97-104, 2011.
• Kimura M, Yan H, Rabbani Z, Satoh T, Baba S, Yin FF, Polascik TJ, Donatucci CF, Vujaskovic Z and Koontz BF: Radiation-induced erectile dysfunction using prostate-confined modern radiotherapy in a rat model. J Sex Med 8(8): 2215-26, 2011.
• Tsivian M, Moreira DM, Caso JR, Mouraviev V, and Polascik TJ: Cigarette smoking is associated with advanced renal cell carcinoma. J Clin Oncol, 29(15): 2027-31, 2011.
• Kimura M, Donatucci CF, Tsivian M, Caso JR, Moreira DM, Mouraviev V, Satoh T, Baba S, Polascik TJ: On-demand use of erectile aids in men with preoperative erectile dysfunction treated by whole gland prostate cryoablation. Intl J Impot Res: J Sex Med, 23(2): 49-55, 2011.
• Kimura M, Banez LL, Schroeck FR, Gerber L, Qi J, Satoh T, Baba S, Robertson CN, Walther PJ, Donatucci CF, Moul JW, and Polascik TJ: Factors predicting early and late phase decline of sexual health-related quality of life following radical prostatectomy. J Sex Med 8(10): 2935-43, 2011.
• Zhai L, Polascik TJ, Foo WC, Rosenzweig S, Palmeri ML, Madden J and Nightingale KR: Acoustic radiation force impulse imaging of human prostates: initial in vivo demonstration. Ultrasound Med Biol, 38(1): 50-61, 2012.
• Smeenge M, Barentsz J, Cosgrove D, de la Rosette J, de Reijke T, Eggener S, Frauscher F, Kovacs G, Matin SF, Mischi M, Pinto P, Rastinehad A, Rouviere O, Salomon G, Polascik T, Walz J, Wijkstra H and Marberger M: Role of transrectal ultrasonography (TRUS) in focal therapy of prostate cancer: Report from a consensus panel. BJU-Int 110(7): 942-8, 2012.
• Abern MR, Tsivian M and Polascik TJ: Focal therapy of prostate cancer: evidence-based analysis for modern selection criteria. Curr Urol Rep 13(2): 160-169, 2012.
• Kimura M, Banez LL, Gerber L, Qi J, Tsivian M, Freedland SJ, Satoh T, Polascik TJ, Baba S and Moul JW: Association between preoperative erectile dysfunction and prostate cancer features – an analysis from the Duke Prostate Center Database. J Sex Med 9(4): 1174-81, 2012.
• Tsivian M, Qi P, Kimura M, Chen VH, Chen SH, Gan TJ and Polascik TJ: The effect of noise-cancelling headphones or music on pain perception and anxiety in men undergoing transrectal prostate biopsy. Urology, 79(1): 32-6, 2012.
• Kimura M, Rabbani ZN, Zodda AR, Yan H, Jackson IL, Polascik TJ, Donatucci CF, Moul JW, Vujaskovic Z and Koontz BF: Role of oxidative stress in a rat model of radiation-induced erectile dysfunction. J Sex Med 9(6): 1535-49, 2012.
• Kimura M, Caso JR, Banez LL, Koontz BF, Gerber L, Senocak C, Donatucci CF, Vujaskovic Z, Moul JW, and Polascik TJ: Predicting participation in and successful outcome of a penile rehabilitation programme using a phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitor with a vacuum erection device after radical prostatectomy. BJU Int, 110(11Pt C): E931-8, 2012 Apr 23 [Epub].
• Tsivian M, Abern MR and Polascik TJ: Prostate cancer treatment unblinded. ed comment on: Focal therapy for localized unifocal and multifocal prostate cancer: a prospective development study. Lancet Oncol, 13(6): 567-8, 2012
• Kimura M, Banez LL, Polascik TJ, Bernal RM, Gerber L, Robertson CN, Donatucci CF and Moul JW: Sexual bother and function after radical prostatectomy: predictors of sexual bother recovery in men despite persistent post-operative sexual dysfunction. Andrology 1(2): 256-61, 2013, doi: 10.1111/j.2047-2927.2012.00036.x. Epub 2012 Nov 29. PMID: 23413138
Department of Surgery
Duke University Medical Center
Division of Urology
Durham, North Carolina, USA
Department of Urology
University of Southern California
Los Angeles - USA
Dr. M.P. Laguna is a staff member at the department of Urology at the AMC University Hospital. She is responsible for the research at the department and the education of the residents.
Dr. Pilar Laguna has finished her training as urologist in 1982 at the University of Barcelona. She was a staff member of several hospitals in Spain like for example the famous Fundacion Puigvert. She moved to the Netherlands and became a staff member in Nijmegen in 2000. Later on she moved to the capitol city Amsterdam where she became a staff member at the AMC University hospital. In 2003 Dr. Laguna obtained her PhD cum laude at the University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria.
After a short training in laparoscopy in Brussels she chairs the laparoscopy activities in Amsterdam. She has been assigned an EBM-fellowship and she also is in charge of the practical training in the animal lab for the residents. Her main fields of interest are renal cell cancer, nephron sparing surgery, laparoscopic surgery, cryosurgery and testis cancer.
Dr. Laguna is member of the European Germ Cell Cancer Consensus Group, which determines the guidelines for cancer of the testis. In addition she is a member of the American Urological Society, the Societe International d’Urologie, European Association of Urology and the Endourological Society.
Dr. Laguna has published more than 150 articles and is author of several book chapters.
Professor of Urological Oncology, Department of Urology, AMC University Hospital, Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Prof. Dr, Department of Urology, Karaelmas University School of Medicine, Kozlu, Turkey>
Ardeshir (Art) Rastinehad, D.O. joined the faculty from the National Cancer Institute as an Interventional Urologic Oncologist specializing in the surgical management of prostate, kidney, adrenal, and testicular cancer. He has a faculty appointment in the Department of Radiology and Urology. He has expertise in a wide array of interventional radiological and surgical techniques, including image guided procedures, laparoscopic and robotic surgery.
For three decades, urologists have diagnosed prostate cancer using the same methodologies. There have been no reliable imaging tools to aid in the diagnosis and currently prostate cancer is the only solid malignancy that is still diagnosed by random biopsies.
Dr. Rastinehad’s prostate cancer team has now incorporated state-of-the-art imaging to help visualize suspicious areas in the prostate for cancer. Dr. Rastinehad has also authored and implemented clinical trials of new techniques in the diagnosis and treatment of localized prostate cancer. Most recently, he is the principle investigator for a phase III clinical trial using MRI/Ultrasound fusion technology to improve prostate biopsy techniques. Using information from the prostate MRI, we can now target specific areas to better diagnose and quantify a patient’s prostate cancer. This was the first trial of this technology in the United States outside the National Institutes of Health. This new clinical approach is helping to lay a foundation for the evaluation of a new technique, Focal Therapy, which only treats the diseased portion of the prostate. For more information please visit www.interventionalurology.com.
Dr. Rastinehad’s research has been published in leading national and international medical journals including The Journal of Urology, Journal of Radiology, Urology, and The British Journal of Urology. He has also authored several book chapters. Dr. Rastinehad is a leader in his field of Uroradiology and Interventional Urology and has been invited to speak at many international and national meetings. He has also serves as the course director for the first international course on MR US fusion guided prostate biopsies sponsored by the American Urological Association. Dr. Rastinehad is the first urologist to practice interventional urology, which utilizes interventional techniques to treat urologic problems and is currently evaluating prostate embolization as an alternative to transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP).
Associate Professor of Urology and Radiology, Director of Focal Therapy and Interventional Urologic Oncology, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York NY, USA
1988-1993 Urology Residency and Fellow, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Kyoto, Japan
1993-1994 Visiting Assistant Professor, Department of Urology, MD Anderson Cancer Center, University of Texas, Texas, USA
1994-2003 Assistant Professor, Department of Urology, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Kyoto Japan
2003-2006 Research Scholar, Glickman Urological Institute, The Cleveland Clinic, Ohio, USA
2006-2009 Associate Professor, Department of Urology, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Kyoto Japan.
2009-2015 Clinical Professor of Urology, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, USA
2015-present Professor and Chairman of Urology, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Kyoto, Japan
2005 | “First Prize”, Best of Best Video, 100th AUA Annual Meeting, San Antonio (Real-time Transrectal Ultrasound Monitoring during Nerve-sparing Laparoscopic Radical Prostatectomy)
2013 | “First Prize Award”, for the Best Video, 28th Annual EAU Congress, Milan
2014 | Co-chairman (with Gill IS) of 7th International Symposium and Imaging and Focal Therapy in Prostate Cancer and Kidney Cancer, Los Angeles
2015 | “Best Poster in Clinical Research of Prostate Cancer”, 8th International Symposium and Imaging and Focal Therapy in Prostate Cancer and Kidney Cancer, Amsterdam
2017 | “Best Scientific Paper Award of European Urology in 2016” (A RCT to assess and compare the outcome of 2-core prostate biopsy guided by fused MR/TRUS images and traditional 12-core systematic biopsy. Eur Urol 2016, 149-156)
Professor and Chairman, Department of Urology, Graduate School of Medical Science, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Kyoto, Japan